Welcome to All Saints Cockermouth
All Saints Cockermouth
Serving the community of Cockermouth All Saints overlooks the River Cocker and town centre from its quiet wooded knoll at the eastern end of the town centre.
The present building is probably the third one on this site. The first one dated from at least the 14th century and quite possibly earlier. It was in poor condition and demolished in 1771. The second was destroyed by fire in 1850 and the present building dates from 1854.
Of particular note is the stained glass, with the East Window dedicated to the memory of William Wordsworth. He, and his sister Dorothy, were baptised in the previous church.
In the closed church yard there are headstones in memory of John Wordsworth (William's father) and Fearon Fallows (Astronomer Royal).
All Saints has a regular Sunday service at 9.30am with traditional hymns and worship songs. There is a choral Eucharist on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month.
All Saints Kids (ASK) gather during the service on the 4th Sunday.
Once a month, at 6pm on a Sunday (usually the 2nd in the month), there is an ‘Oasis’ service: an informal gathering which can be anything from Celtic/Iona-style to Taizé to reflection on the life of a saint to a healing eucharist. It is always followed by fellowship over food and drink!
When there are five Sundays in a month we meet on the last Sunday as a United Service with other Churches in the Cockermouth Area Team